Have you ever stopped to wonder how your computer, clothes, furniture or household goods made their way to your doorstep? Most likely, almost everything you own arrived here in a container on a container ship. The global shipping industry is massive, complex, and has largely been done the same way for decades without much change or innovation. The lack of digital innovation and infrastructure in the global shipping space results in poor visibility, missed deadlines, and lost revenue for all parties involved.
NYSHEX is building the digital infrastructure for global shipping. Our technology platform unites the entire ocean freight supply chain into a reliable, efficient, and trusted system for global commerce. Our solution helps Shippers, Carriers, and NVOCCs improve performance, strengthen relationships and reduce manual workload.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Product Analyst at NYSHEX, you will contribute to NYSHEX’s product development within the area of Analytics. You will work on projects related to the development of analytics products for NYSHEX’s software platform. You will design algorithms for analyzing our customer data that can be implemented and scaled across the organization. You will also partner with our Data Analyst teams to work on those algorithms and test them based on business needs.
This is a full-time role reporting to our Senior Manager of Analytics. This is a remote, work-from-home role, with the expectation of periodic in-person team meetings. As such, we are only considering candidates who are based in the Western Cape region of South Africa who live a commutable distance from Cape Town.
In this role, you will:
- Own the development of new analytics features that can be delivered to NYSHEX users through our existing user interfaces
- Design innovative analytical algorithms / processes that generate valuable insights about how to improve our customers’ supply chains, to be used and implemented across our Engineering and Operations teams
- Implement designed algorithms using low-code tools (Alteryx)
- Work closely with NYSHEX Engineering and Product teams to automate manual processes, enhancing user experience and increasing efficiency
- Develop detailed documentation to ensure process operators can effectively and efficiently operate algorithms / processes
- Collaborate with Data Analyst team to test and improve algorithms / processes
- Support other core NYSHEX operational processes as needed
- Role may require flexibility in working hours to align with global stakeholders and may involve some domestic and international travel (<5%)
You are a great candidate for this role if you have:
- BS degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Analytics, Business)
- 2+ years of experience working in a highly analytical role, such as data analytics, business intelligence, consulting etc. or advanced degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Analytics, Business)
- Strong analytical skills, critical thinking, and the ability to work with large datasets
- Experience creating data models in Excel or similar software
- Familiarity or experience working with Alteryx, or similar low-code analytics platform
- The ability to communicate complex findings and insights to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team
- The ability to work independently and navigate ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
You are an exceptional candidate for this role if you also have:
- Experience with SQL and data analysis tools, such as PowerBI, Tableau, etc
- Experience writing code (Python, SQL, etc.) and the ability to design algorithms for a variety of use cases
- Prior experience in the Ocean Freight industry