- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Enterprise Software
- Post Date: 09/14/2021
- Website: nyshex.com
- Company Address: 30 Broad Street, New York, NY, 10004
About New York Shipping Exchange (NYSHEX)Founded in 2015, The New York Shipping Exchange (NYSHEX) is supporting the transformation of container shipping by solving inefficiencies associated with booking downfalls and shipment rollings.
Have you ever stopped to wonder how your computer, clothes, furniture, or household goods made their way to your doorstep? Most likely, almost everything you own arrived here in a container on a container ship. It is a massive industry that we all rely on but don’t think about much because it’s been done the same way for decades without much change or innovation.
NYSHEX is a well-funded Series A startup, developing a brand-new concept that will transform and enable an industry plagued with inefficiency, volatility, and $23b of economic waste annually. The NYSHEX team is passionate about collaborating with the world’s leading ocean carriers, shippers, and forwarders to bring technology and innovation to this industry we love, and we hope that you will be part of building this new digital foundation that will have lasting effects for years to come.
As an Engineering Manager at NYSHEX, you will be responsible for making sure our engineers are successful by providing mentorship and growth opportunities for your team. You’ll work closely with our Engineering and Product leadership. This role will help us scale our teams by growing our current team members, leading hiring efforts for your team, and advising on tech challenges as we scale quickly.
Being part of a small team means you’ll be responsible for solutions that have a serious impact on the business and our systems. Our engineering team has the flexibility to design and propose innovative solutions that solve real industry problems. You’ll interact with carriers, shippers, and regulatory agencies to design systems that bring and old industry up to today’s standard.
This role will be required to work in our NYC office starting in 2022 within a hybrid work environment.
What you will do:
- Manage and mentor one or more engineering teams
- Work closely with our VP of Engineering to develop a strong engineering culture and ensure delivery against our product road map
- Hire skilled and passionate engineers in partnership with recruiting
- Work cross functionally with our product team
- Collaborate with leadership on a technical strategy
Who you are:
- 6+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 1+ years managing a software development team
- You have experience hiring software engineers
- You have experience and a passion for mentoring and developing the careers of software engineers
- You have experience building strong partnerships with executive teams, product managers and designers
- You have effective communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- Possesses a solid mix of initiative, imagination, and work ethic
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field
- You have some experience in one or more of the following:
- Languages: Java 8, React, Python, Go
- Infrastructure: Linux, AWS, Docker, Kafka
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Frameworks/Tools: Spring, D3JS, JUnit, Jenkins, Maven
- Integration: REST, SFTP, & Queuing/Messaging Services
What you can look forward to:
Our diverse culture promotes a dynamic, exciting, and challenging work environment with opportunities for learning and growth. Our team is passionate about building great tech and besides being great at their jobs, are also classical musicians, surfers, gamers, athletes, and foodies.
We provide a competitive compensation package, 401k plan, unlimited vacation days and an opportunity for you to share in the success of the company with stock options/equity. Come join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, ethnicity, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or physical ability.